Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Your opinion on colleges in the Dallas, Texas area?


Your opinion on colleges in the Dallas, Texas area?
I'm looking at colleges in the Dallas, Texas area. I'd appreciate your opinion. The college guides don't really give the inside information about: quality of classes? how friendly? helpful professors? food? safety? etc. I'm looking at both public and private colleges. Please let me know what you think of area schools, or what you have heard. If you would recommend another school in Texas, I'd like to hear about it, too. Thanks!
Dallas - 5 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
Dallas sucks as a place to live work, play. Find a decent town.....


2
Some of the junior colleges in the Metroplex are better than others, but as for the 4 year colleges they are all good. Southern Methodist University, Texas Christian University and University of Dallas are excellent, but expensive schools. University of Texas at Arlington is a good public school. The nursing program at UTA is one of the best in the nation, and the engineering program is excellent. All the schools I've mentioned have good housing. As for the food -- well I'm sure you've heard of the Freshman 15 -- what more can I say? All schools will have a prof or two who are jerks, but most want to see you get a good education and are there to help you. Select a school that offers a degree in the field you're interested in, and with the right attitude you'll make friends and be happy wherever you go. Best of luck.


3
Do you mean 4 year or junior college? My cousins went to Northlake College in Irving (nice campus) and Tarrant County Junior College in Arlington. I myself graduated from University of Texas at Arlington. We all went to college to graduate as fast as we can so we don't party much. If you are looking for "party college", I would say colleges in DFW are lame but if you are looking at academics, DFW has some of the high ranking schools in the USA. For law and business, SMU (private) in Dallas is the college to be. For Science, University of Dallas (private) is a top ranking college in Irving. University of Texas at Arlington gets tops for Engineering (especially Aerospace) and Nursing. For Dental is UNT (not technically in the DFW area but Denton is close enough) and Medical Science you have TWU in Denton and UT Southwestern Medical in top notch (my wife graduated from here).


4
I can't speak for all of them but I graduated from UT Arlington so I'm familiar with it. If you're looking for the "college experience" then UTA probably isn't for you. No football. It's really a commuter school so relativley few students live on campus. Most of the students still live at home so they come to class and then go home. The campus is pretty dead in the evenings and on the weekends. I do feel like I got out of it what I needed though. I got a good education and got my piece of paper. That's all I was really looking for when I made my college choice.


5
I also agree with Prarie girl. Check out Fort Worth TCU. By way thats the one in Fiesta bowl this week. Fort Worth is lot easier to get around then Dallas would be.

Popular Posts